Saturday, March 19th 2022
Over 300 Volunteers Participated in the 32nd Annual Haw River Clean Up A Thon!
On Saturday, March 19th, we hosted the Haw River Clean Up A Thon – our 32nd annual watershed wide effort to remove trash from creeks, streams and trails leading to the Haw River. The event also raises awareness about the impacts of our consumption habits and brings people together at the river and local creeks. Clean ups have been a popular way to get outdoors since lockdown, making this year’s clean up a little easier on our volunteers! A total of 344 volunteers at 29 different locations removed 267 bags of trash, 22 tires and several other large odd items including metal and plastic piping, tractor tires, a shopping cart and more! Wow! Please check out some of the great photos below to see what else volunteers fished out of the river.
Here’s where the teams worked:
Greensboro: N. Buffalo Creek, Cascade Park and Muddy Creek
Alamance Co: Red Slide Park, Great Bend Park/Glencoe Paddle Access Trail ,Swepsonville Bridge, Graham Paddle Access Point, Swepsonville Paddle Access Point and Ball Park, Saxapahaw Island
Orange Co: Bolin Creek, New Hope Creek near the Johnston Mill Nature Preserve, Durham:Third Fork Creek
Chatham Co: Dry Creek, Chicken Bridge, Rock Rest, Bynum and Lower Haw River State Natural Area, 15/501 Bridge, Carolina Canoe Club paddlers from Bynum to the Hwy 64 bridge, Hwy 64 bridge access area, Robeson Creek and Town Lake Park, Pittsboro, Haw River (Robeson Cr.) Canoe Access at Jordan Lake, and 3 more areas at Jordan Lake.
Weird Trash Finds:
Retail Mannequin (Third Fork Creek) * Shopping Cart (Muddy Creek) *Animal Print Thigh High Boot (Jordan Lake) * Power Unit for an old Dental Machine (Town Lake Park) * Old campaign sign (Bynum) Shredded Tractor Tire (Chicken Bridge)
Thanks to all our Sponsors For This Year’s Clean Up!
- AbunDance Healing Arts: 224 East St, Pittsboro, NC 27312 (919) 636-2545
- Branley Electrical Service, Inc.: 1824 Chandler St, Elon, NC 27244 (336) 538-9953
- Fair Game Beverage Co.: 193 Lorax Ln, Pittsboro, NC 27312 (919) 200-5549
- Furniture Lab: 103 W Weaver St Carrboro 27510 (919) 913-0270
- Hempsmith Clothing Co.: 4479 Moncure Pittsboro Rd. Moncure NC 27559 (919) 704-5189
- Hobbs Architects: 159 W. Salisbury St Pittsboro, NC 27312 (919) 545-2004
- The Jester Group: 1414 Raleigh Rd #420, Chapel Hill, NC 27517 (919) 918-2900
- Mellow Marsh Farm: 1312 Woody Store Rd, Siler City, NC 27344 (919) 742-1200
- Peachy Clean, Inc. Home Maid Cleaning: (919) 422-2643
- Pittsboro Toys: 15 Hillsboro St Pittsboro 27312 (919) 545-1546
- Reverence Farms Cafe: 1568 Haw Ranch Rd, Graham, NC 27253 (336) 525-2266
- Yoga Garden Pittsboro: 184 East St, Pittsboro, NC 27312 (919) 533-7935
Sign Your Team Up for This Year’s Clean Up Here!
** this will be available again in 2023**
Our 31st Annual Clean Up Was A Success!
On Saturday, March 20th, we hosted the Haw River Clean Up A Thon – our 31st annual watershed wide effort to remove trash from creeks, streams and trails leading to the Haw River. The event also raises awareness about the impacts of our consumption habits and brings people together at the river and local creeks. Enthusiasm surrounding clean ups continues to grow and this year 364 volunteers at 36 different teams and locations removed 467 bags of trash, 29 tires and several other large items including box springs, a refrigerator, televisions, car bumpers and more! Wow! Don’t forget to check out additional team photos on our Facebook page.