The Haw River Assembly offers year round field trip programs for grades K-12. We customize each program to meet the specific needs and learning objectives of your classroom.
Available field trip topics include:
- Haw River Watershed History: We’ll discuss the groups of people that have called the Haw River watershed home and the ways that they utilized the river for survival.
- Ecosystem Functions: Learn how our actions affect drinking water using the Enviroscape, our portable watershed model.
- Stream Ecology: Discover how plants, animals, and water interact through games and outdoor exploration.
- Local Mammals: Students will handle preserved skulls and skins to learn about the diversity of our local mammal species. We can check out their habitat with a walk through the woods.
- Native and Invasive Plants: Cover the basics of plant identification and how humans and animals use them.
- Recycling and Waste Reduction: What can you do to reduce your impact on the planet? We’ll discuss ways to reduce, reuse, and recycle our way to a healthier watershed.
- Benthic Macroinvertebrates: Students use keys to identify macroinvertebrates and find out how they serve as indicators of water quality.
- Water Quality Monitoring: Using pH kits, transparency tubes, and thermometers, students will test the quality of our water and come up with ways to keep it clean.
- Reptiles and Amphibians: Learn about our state reptile, the salamanders of North Carolina, and identify the calls of our local frogs and toads.
- And More!!!
We are available to conduct programs at your school or off site at nearby creeks and streams that flow into the Haw River. We ask for a donation of $3-$5 per student for field trip programs. All program fees are used to purchase educational materials, to sustain our river monitoring project,to purchase supplies for our annual Haw River Clean Up, and for other projects that protect and improve water quality in our community.
To schedule your field trip, contact us at
(919) 542-5790 or firstname.lastname@example.org