From May 14 through May 21, Haw Riverkeeper Emily Sutton led a core team of paddlers on a journey down the Haw River, stopping along the way to have dinners with supporters, and joined by other paddlers.
Core paddle team at Haw River State Park in Guilford Co. getting ready to launch. Left to right: Raphael Darden, Francisco Plaza, Emily Sutton, Haw Riverkeeper and JuJu Horton)
Lots of logjams in the upper stretched of the river
Launching next day in Rockingham Co. with help from Dan Riverkeeper Steve Pulliam - then waiting out an afternoon thunderstorm.
Next day brought better weather and beautiful scenery as the team paddled into Alamance Co.
Wednesday - joined by paddlers Kyleene Rooks and friend, and shuttle with Joe Jacob
Day 5, Saxapahaw down to Chatham County
This was the tentative agenda for our core group of paddlers. All times were subject to change based on the river and the weather.
Saturday, May 14
- 11AM: Kick-off Party! We invite you to join us in sending off our core group of paddlers! Bring a bagged lunch for a picnic and hike at Haw River State Park.
- 2PM: Send off for paddlers!
- 6PM: Boat take out Camping at Camp Guilrock.
Sunday, May 15
- 8AM: Start paddle from Camp Guilrock. Participating joiners can drop their boats in at this time.
- 12PM: Lunch Stop at NC 150 bridge takeout. Joining paddlers may chose to take out at this time.
- 6PM: Boat take out and camp on private property
Monday, May 16
- 8AM: Start paddle from private property. Joining paddlers will be given an address upon sign up.
- 12PM: Lunch Stop at Altamahaw Access. Joining paddlers may chose to take out at this time.
- 6PM: Boat take out and primitive camping at Shallowford State Natural Area
Tuesday, May 17
Wednesday, May 18
- 8AM: Start Paddle from private property.
- 12PM: Lunch Stop at Swepsonville Access. Core paddlers will be joined by Outdoor Afro & Haw River Canoe & Kayak. Joining paddlers will be given an address upon sign up.
- 6PM: Boat take out and camp at Saxapahaw Campsites. Join us at The Eddy Pub for dinner see more info at the bottom of this page on joining.
Thursday, May 19
- 8AM: Start Paddle from Saxapahaw. Participating joiners can drop their boats in at this time.
- 12PM: Lunch Stop at Chicken Bridge. Joining paddlers may chose to take out at this time.
- 6PM: Boat take out in Bynum and camp at HRA Office
Friday, May 20
No joiners for today.
- 8AM: Start Paddle in Bynum.
- 12PM: Lunch Stop at Robeson Boat Launch. All paddlers go home for the evening.
Saturday, May 21
- 8AM: Start Paddle Robeson Boat Launch. Core paddlers will be joined by Frog Hollow Outdoors.
- 12PM: End of Paddle Celebration! We invite you to join us in cheering on our core group of paddlers after their long week of boating down the Haw to Jordan Lake! Bring a bagged lunch and celebrate with us at Jordan Lake Army Corps Headquarters.
Mapping Out Our Paddle!
Kick Off Celebration!
Join us for our kick off event at Haw River State Park from 11AM – 2PM. Bring a a bagged lunch and join us for an early lunch and hike around the park before sending off our core paddlers for a successful paddle down to Jordan Lake.
Questions about the event? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Join us at The Eddy Pub for Dinner
We have the back room of the Eddy reserved for dinner on Wednesday, May 18 for our core paddlers and guests! We’ll arrive between 5:30 and 6. Seating is limited, but anyone is welcome to come visit and then go have dinner on their own in the main room. If you would like to join us in the Farm House room, please register here so we have an accurate head count. Dinner is not provided and will be paid for individually.
Join us for dinner by the river!
Can’t take off a day of work to paddle with us? We welcome you to join us for a river side, picnic style dinner along the way. Dinner is provided for our core group of paddlers and our host, so please bring your own picnic dinner and a chair or picnic blanket. We’ll be sharing our stories from the river, and we’d love to hear your stories about why this place is special to you. This is a space to connect to your watershed community, so bring your family and friends!
Saturday May 14, 6pm- Camp Guilrock: 531 Beville Rd, Reidsville, NC 27320
Monday May 16, 6pm- Shallowford Trail: 1955 Gerringer Mill Rd, Burlington, NC 27244
Tuesday May 17, 6pm- Jimmie Kerr Rd (email Kyleene Rooks for exact address – email@example.com)
Wednesday May 18, 6pm- Eddy Pub: 1715 Saxapahaw-Bethlehem Church Rd, Graham, NC 27253
Thursday May 19, 6pm- Lower Haw State Natural Area: 160 Bynum Church Rd, Pittsboro, NC 27312
Saturday May 21 (lunch) 12:30pm- Jordan Lake Army Corps Headquarters: 2080 Jordan Dam Rd Moncure, NC 27559
Support Our Paddlers: Donate per Mile
Our core group of paddlers will spend the week paddling 85 miles from Haw River State Park to Jordan Lake and we’d love for you to sponsor $/mile! How much you want to sponsor per mile is completely up to you, just don’t forget to leave us a message when you donate.
Prefer to write a check? Paper checks can be made out to Haw River Assembly for the 40th Anniversary, and sent to PO Box 143 Bynum NC 27228
Questions about how to donate? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Donate a Meal
Our core group of paddlers will be camping along the river between sites. We’d love your help in fueling our team. Sign up to donate and drop off meals for teams the week of the paddle.
Questions about how to donate a meal? Email email@example.com
We hope to capture stories from our watershed community about their connections to the Haw and it’s tributaries. If you’d like to share your story, art, or photos, please submit them to firstname.lastname@example.org.